Sunday 10 February 2008

Outside the Box


Martyne sent me some exciting new pictures late yesterday so I am up early, for a Sunday, to knock together this post. Two interesting things about the above box. Firstly you can see from the initials at the top that it is Victorian, and secondly there is a set of keys hanging in the lock. Martyne was just about to open it when she took this "before" picture. You can probably tell what is coming next.


How often do you get to see inside a pillar box (or a wall box to be strictly accurate)? Unfortunately the lack of light means that you can't actually see anything. Perhaps this might have been a good time to use the flash!

This last picture is very exciting. If you look at the top of this one it says E R. Clearly there were no boxes around at the time of Elizabeth I (1533 to 1603). A closer inspection revealed that there are the letters VII inbetween the E and R. My very first Edwardian box! You may have to blow up the picture, if you can, to see them clearly.

I may well take up little sister's idea about a series on squint buildings but I still have a few boxes I want to share with you as well.

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

I'm glad Marteen is helping you collect pictures for your blog, it does help her to have something to focus on during the day. It keeps her away from the sherry bottle, which as you know she can be a bit fond of.

Anonymous said...

I got up early this morning hoping to find you had written a new posting and you have. Unfortunately your sister's "friend" has beaten me to the comments.
The information about the different post boxes is very interesting. I must admit I have never seen the inside of a post box before. Look forward to more postings soon. Bit of a pun there given your current topic of discussion!