Monday 4 February 2008

Bonanza

The title does not refer to the popular American TV western series which ran from 1959 to 1973, but the fact that Martyne and Hester have come up with a lot of interesting stuff thanks to their meeting this weekend. Sadly I am not currently in possession of any new "pics", as I believe the young persons call them, but I hope to procure some soon. Also sadly, one name has slipped through my sister's fingers.
As Martyne mentioned in "Fond Farewell" she is now travelling back home on a Monday morning when she goes down south to visit Hester. I think she also said that economically it is better for her to wait a couple of hours at the station because the later train is much cheaper.
Whilst she was sipping a mocha in the tearoom "Willem Barents", him of Barents Sea fame, pulled into the station. She was so engrossed in her chocalate and coffee based beverage that he was pulling out again before she noticed, heading South, so she didn't manage to take a picture.
Half an hour later when she went to board her train to the North she discovered it was the same one! Even more sadly, when she got off it, her camera played up and the train was gone before she could take a picture.
I have another "double take" on another train but I will save it until I have a "pic" from Hester.
I have got pictures of the Voyager and Super Voyager trains, Class 220 and 221 respectively, but have none of the Class 390 Pendolinos whose naming seem to have no obvious logic at all.
To round off, most people are familliar with the name of the man pictured. He did many firsts, but the one that impresses me the most is that he is the first person to cross all the world's meridians. Not in the same voyage, but he is still truly a great explorer.




1 comment:

Anonymous said...

I am so sorry Robert, Marteen told me she would get lots of pictures for you whilst waiting at the station but it seems the lure of fancy coffee was just too much for her to resist. I will send the pictures I have to you as soon as possible.