Sunday 27 January 2008

Boxing Clever


I have been out and about with my new camera. I am happy to say I now have more pictures for my "Pillar Boxes I Have Known" feature.

This one is technically not a pillar box (PB) but a wall box (WB). Hester, however, took this one when she and Martyne were visiting "The Steading" public house for lunch this afternoon. I trust they drank sensibly. Martyne is a bit too fond of her sherry for her own good so I am sure the driving would be done by Hester.

The first box I posted was Victorian and I have been looking around for an Edwardian one. I thought It would be nice to do them in chronological order. But I have yet to find one despite the fact he (Edward VII) was on the throne for nine years between 1901 and 1910.

You can see the featured box says "GR". I am sure this refers to George V who ruled from 1910 to 1936. Then there was Edward VIII for a short time, and all the scandal that went with it. I doubt the "GPO" as I am sure it was called then, had time to erect boxes.

Of course there is still George VI and our own dear queen to go but Royal Mail and their predecessors are a bit remiss at times when it comes to putting monarchs initials on their boxes.

Sorry about the changes in typeface, or fonts as I am told they are called these days. The computer seems to have a mind of it's own today.

13 comments:

Anonymous said...

Glad you could use the picture. You will be pleased to know I managed to keep Marteen off the sherry by telling her it would spoil her lunch. It is difficult to keep her on the straight and narrow but I am doing my best.

Bob the Bloger said...

Glad to hear you kept her off the sherry Hester. Her legs are wobbly enough without adding alcohol into the equation. I worry about all the bruises she gets from bumping into things.
The picture was great. I have got some more to use, but you will just have to contain yourself for a little bit longer.

Marteen said...

I think you two are conspiring against me. Would you really seek to deprive an ageing lady of one of her few remaining pleasures? Shame on the pair of you.

Anonymous said...

We are not seeking to deprive you dear Marteen just help you for your own good. You know what happens when you go off the rails!

Marteen said...

It is my brother Robert who is involved with trains and rails. I am not sure what you mean dear.

Anonymous said...

Do I need to remind you of the girls school past? we don't want a repeat of that scandal do we dearest.

Anonymous said...

Is this a family affair or can anyone join in?

Marteen said...

Help yourself cheeky minx. Everyone else seems to be having a go at me!

Bob the Bloger said...

Will you girls please stop the chitter-chatter on my blog. If you want to comment on pillar boxes, trains or bridges that's fine. But I am not running a chat room here.

Anonymous said...

Oooh Robert, no need to get on your high horse, take a chill pill as the youngsters say these days.

Bob the Bloger said...

I believe, cheeky minx, that the youngsters also say "smack my bitch up". You might want to think about that one before you make any more comments.

Anonymous said...

Didn't realise you were so touchy Robert, very different from your sister who has an amazing sense of humour. I will only comment on the beauty of the bridges and pillar boxes in future. Consider me suitably reprimanded.

Bob the Bloger said...

I am happy for you to comment on the train names as well. As long as you don't lie about them, like Hester did to Martyne recently.