Friday 11 January 2008

Bridge Too Far II



There are not many people in the world who will not recognise this bridge. It is so iconic. Sadly she is not looking her best. The centre section is undergoing maintenance, hence the white cladding which you can just about make out.

If you want to know the whole history you can visit Wikipedia. I just about live there. I suppose that is why Marteen calls me a "nerdy git" at times.

In brief, the original bridge was designed by Thomas Bouch, but only got to the foundation stage. After the collapse of the Tay Rail Bridge (also designed by him) in 1879 the design of this bridge was handed to Sir John Fowler and Sir Benjamin Baker. They played it safe and the structure is reputedly twice as strong as it needs to be. It has stood the test of time. It has lasted for nearly 120 years and is reputedly good for another 100.

The nearby road bridge (featured in my last post) has only been around for slightly over 40 years and is nearing the end of it's useful life. A replacement has been recently commissioned.

I have been intrigued by the names of the Virgin trains Marteen has been travelling on recently. I might comment on them next.

1 comment:

Marteen said...

Yes, it's a very pretty bridge dear. Hester is impressed with the photo. I hope you are going to use all the train names I have been collecting for you recently. I am sure your readers will be very impressed by them!