Wednesday 9 January 2008

A Bridge Too Far

Have decided to do beauty before age in terms of the two bridges in the pillar box picture. I have always loved suspension bridges for their elegance. They have been superceded by the even more graceful cable-stayed ones that are popular nowadays. Every time I see pictures of the Millau Viaduct in Southern France I shed a tear.

Usually it is Martyne who does the waterworks in our family. She has to buy Kleenex in industrial sized packs to keep the cost down.

The Forth Road Bridge was opened by our dear queen and her husband on the 4th of September 1964. Mother, father, Martyne and I crossed it on the first weekend it opened. Dad had a Hillman Minx, which was a relatively new car in those days. There were countless thousands of others doing the same thing and we spent hours in traffic jams, but it was worth it. I still have some 8mm footage of it, and I mean Standard 8, not the fangled new Super 8.

I bought myself a digital camera a couple of days ago so I will be able to provide my own pictures without having to trouble Martyne in future. It is quite complicated but a "nerdy git" (Martyne's words) like me should be able to figure it out.

As far as I know Martyne's "friend" Hester took this picture, so I am more than happy to give her the credit. I think she is good for my sister and seems to have a moderating influence on her. Lord knows she needs it.

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

You do like using pretty pictures don't you. I will do my best to support your new blog. It was nice of you to say you think I'm good for Marteen, but please it is the other way round.

Bob the Bloger said...

You are too kind Hester. I am glad you like my pictures. I hope to take many more with my new camera. I guess you and my sister are good for each other. You seem to compliment each other. I wish the pair of you all the best. I know you make her very happy although she is a bit slow at expressing it. She dotes on you as much as you do on her.